REOPENING PLAN – MAY 24, 2020
Dear Faithpointers & Friends,
I pray this finds your family and you well as we all continue to navigate the direct and ripple effects of the coronavirus, covid-19 pandemic. As Christians, Jesus reminds us that “Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows” [John 16:33a, NLT]. But don’t stop there… look what else He says: “But take heart, because I have overcome the world” [John 16:33b]. This, my friends, is the Gospel. Whatever the obstacle, we hold tight, press on, lean in, confident that God’s got this and we will come out on the other side.
As I write this notice, your Faithpoint staff and leadership team have been praying, talking, and planning for our reopening. And so, I want to bring you up-to-speed on where we are today and where we’re headed in the very near future.
OUR CURRENT STATE OF THE CHURCH
1. We continue to meet each Sunday morning for digital worship via Facebook Live (www.facebook.com/faithpointumc). While some have tried to quantify viewership and reach, the truth is we can’t be sure how many folks are actively engaging with our content. We do know, however, that we are attracting “views” from throughout the state of Indiana, Kentucky, Florida, Texas, Michigan and even Australia and Norway. And some of those folks have also been supporting our ministries with financial gifts. Pretty cool, huh!
2. We have been working very hard behind the scenes to improve the quality of our live stream. We have updated our wireless network and our presentation software, purchased and started using a new computer, purchased a new camera, and we have made numerous adjustments to our existing technology. All in all, I am super-proud about what we’ve been able to accomplish and I am so grateful for all those who have helped us. I want to give a very special shout out to Kenny Huff and Isaiah Brock. Kenny has spent countless hours running cable, researching, acquiring and installing our new camera as well as updating our technology. Isaiah has been working behind the scenes helping to improve the quality of our sound and technology with adjustments and new equipment. I also want to say a special word of THANKS to our Worship Band and Tech Crew who have been here every week to lead us into the presence of God. We sure appreciate you and your servant hearts as together we’ve all worshipped remotely.
3. Your KIDZPOINT and POINT staff, Wendy Moody and David Moore, have been working diligently to keep our students engaged and connected through ZOOM. I think that they have done a terrific job! Wendy has been doing a weekly KIDZPOINT ZOOM at 9:30am on Sunday morning [Meeting ID: 465 035 785 – No Password Necessary] and David has been doing a Sunday afternoon ZOOM for middle school students at 4pm [Meeting ID: 999 6804 6701 – Password: 047905] and high school students at 5:30pm [Meeting ID: 934 6745 5837 – Password: 014604].
4. On May 5, we began a new Tuesday Night “PRAY ON ZOOM” time spearheaded by Ray Yeager. We are gathering as a church family from 8:00-8:45pm to pray and connect with one another. Anyone is invited to join us! [Meeting ID: 874 1799 9345 – Password: 592849] 5. On May 6 & 7, we kicked off two new short-term FAITHPOINT DIGITAL DISCIPLESHIP GROW GROUPS. Our current plan to is conduct short-term studies (4-6 weeks), take a week or two off, and then start again with new studies.
• Wednesday Night Bible Study with Mark McKay from 9:00-10:00pm. Mark is leading this group digging into what it means to be created in the image of God [Meeting ID: 820 3497 2637 – Password: 336997].
• Thursday Night Bible Study with Chuck Zielke from 8:00-8:45pm. Chuck is leading this group as they learn about the 12 Tribes of Israel from the Old Testament [Meeting ID: 845 9512 7499 Password: 596274].
6. Our Faithpoint ladies are continuing to meet Thursday nights from 7:00-7:40pm for community and devotion [Meeting ID: 556 644 378 – Password: 439648]. Jami Weckstein is spearheading this effort.
7. As of the writing of this letter (May 11), our finances are stable, yet we’ve seen a dip since our last public worship service. Prior to the coronavirus shutdown, we were trending +8% total giving this year verses last year. Currently, we are down 7% this year to last year. We continue to invite Faithpointers and friends to give financially through a variety of ways. Tithes and offerings can be made:
• In-person • By mail (Faithpoint Church, 6694 Hwy 150, Floyds Knobs, IN 47119)
• ONLINE through our web site with one-time gifts or recurring gifts (www.faithpointchurch.org and clicking on the blue ONLINE GIVING button)
• GIVE+Text = we recently added the ability to give via text through our online processor (VANCO Payment Solutions) by texting an amount to 833-597-0167. Immediately after pressing, “send,” you will receive a response where you’ll enter your name and credit/debit card information and confirm your gift. • Persons can set up direct giving with their financial institutions
As you can see from the information above, I think we have been doing our best to offer our Faithpoint families opportunities to worship, give, grow and serve during the coronavirus chaos. Following this page, we’ve laid out the protocol and details for reopening our church.
REOPENING – PHASE 1 – MAY 24 GENERAL INFORMATION
• We plan to reopen with “PHASE 1” on May 24 and “PHASE 2” on July 5.
• We will reopen with two worship services: 9:00am and 10:30am (please note the specifics for each service below).
• We encourage individuals and families to join us, as they feel comfortable. We do not want anyone to feel “pressured” into coming back. Please return when you feel comfortable. Until then, we invite you to continue to join us on Facebook live.
• We will be live streaming both worship services every Sunday.
PHASE 1 – PROTOCOL
1. Vulnerable individuals should continue to abide by CDC guidelines as they decide to return. According to www.whitehouse.gov, vulnerable persons include those with “serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung diseases, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those conditions requiring such therapy.”
2. Individuals who are sick or have a fever should stay home. The general rule of being fever-free for 72 hours without medication is a good model for everyone.
3. Masks will be optional. We will have disposable masks available at the door for anyone wishing to wear one. Jan Sherrell has offered to make reusable masks for any Faithpointer wishing to have one. You can contact her at Jansherr2@gmail.com or call the church office (812-923-0940) and we will give you her phone number.
4. Gloves are optional. We will have gloves at the door for anyone wishing to wear them.
5. We ask everyone to refrain from physical contact (handshakes or hugs). Waves, air high-5’s (non-touch), and verbal greetings are always acceptable.
6. We encourage everyone to practice good personal hygiene. Wash your hands often, minimize contact with surfaces, and use hand sanitizer. You will find hand sanitizer stations all throughout our building.
7. Our building has been thoroughly cleaned several times since our last public worship service and our carpets have also been cleaned. We will thoroughly clean each week following Sunday worship. Couches and chairs have been removed from our lobby and family lounge temporarily to help with physical distancing.
8. Bulletins will not be available.
9. A limited supply of Message Notes will be available. Persons are encouraged to print them directly from our web site prior to the worship service and bring them to worship.
10. We will not have communion during this first phase.
11. Coffee will be available in the kitchen PRIOR to our worship services. A volunteer will serve you. All of the accompanying condiments and utensils (sweetener, cream, and stir sticks) are individually wrapped. We ask that everyone enter through the door off the Family Lounge and exit through the connecting door of Room 5. This will help us maintain physical distancing in the hallways. Of course, you are welcome to bring your own beverage to worship as well. PLEASE NOTE: Beverages will NOT be available during our worship service.
12. Offering baskets will be placed near the exits and throughout our facility and will not be passed around.
13. We are asking folks to ENTER our Worship Center through the CORNER DOORS (off the main lobby) or down the hall toward the bathrooms. The center Worship Center doors will be for emergency exit only.
14. We’re asking folks to EXIT our Worship Center through the CORNER DOORS and the Worship Center door that is closest to the playground. The center Worship Center doors will be for emergency exit only.
15. We’re asking folks to please help us maintain physical (“social”) distancing guidelines. Gathering outside following worship will be a great place to connect with your church family as weather permits.
16. Our classrooms – Rooms 6, 7, 8 & 9 – will be locked with the exception of the nursery. There is a changing station in each bathroom.
PHASE 1 – WORSHIP, NURSERY & CLASSES STARTING MAY 24
1. We will offer two worship services on Sunday morning: 9:00am and 10:30am. Our 9:00am service will be 50 minutes in length to allow adequate time for our building to clear out and cleaned for the next service. The capacity for each service will be 75-90 people (depending on volunteers). Each service will be streamed on Facebook (https://facebook.com/faithpointumc). We ask that no one arrive before 8:45am for the 9:00am service or before 10:15am for the 10:30am service. This will allow for adequate transition time, staging and cleaning.
2. We are asking everyone to please “RSVP for WORSHIP” via Sign Up Genius or by calling the church office at 812-923-0940. Copy and paste this link https://bit.ly/FaithpointSundayWorship in your browser to let us know which service you will be attending and how many persons from your family will be attending. Please note, you will only be allowed to RSVP for the current week and you will not be able to RSVP for future dates. Sign Up Genius will open for the coming week on Sunday afternoon. Since each worship service will have a maximum capacity, we ask that if your plans change, please call the church office at 812-923-0940 so others may take your spot(s). We know this may seem awkward but we are trying our best to maintain appropriate physical distancing during this phase so we can provide the healthiest environment for us to worship and celebrate life together.
3. We have specific “target populations” for each of our worship services:
a. Our 9:00am service is targeted at persons without elementary-age children (10 and under) and/or persons who may be higher risk with preexistent conditions. We are asking all families with young children to attend our 10:30am service.
b. Our 10:30am service is for everyone else. We encourage families with little ones to sit at tables where we will have crayons and activities to occupy their time.
4. There WILL BE a nursery ONLY if we know “in advance” at the 10:30am worship service. Sign Up Genius will have a place for persons to indicate their need for nursery.
5. There will be NO KIDZPOINT Sunday morning classes and NO POINT Sunday morning class until PHASE 2. Children and youth are encouraged to worship with and sit with their parents, grandparents, and/or guardians. Effective May 24, Wendy will continue to send weekly emails with lesson updates and handouts to all families. With the age of students she has had doing Zoom, we don’t think attempting Zoom on Sunday mornings before church would be beneficial to our families as they are preparing to return to church. We will see how the Sunday morning attendance goes and will reconsider if necessary. If you have any questions, please contact Wendy. The POINT will continue to have weekly ZOOM meetings at 4:00pm and 5:30pm as noted above. David will look at the possibility of additional outside activities where physical distancing can be maintained during this phase. Those possible events will be communicated at a later date.
REOPENING – PHASE 2 – JULY 5 PHASE 2 – PROTOCOL
We will evaluate each of the protocols listed in PHASE 1, as we get closer to PHASE 2. These will depend on information we receive from the CDC, state and local officials, as well as the discernment from our staff and leadership team.
WORSHIP, NURSERY & CLASSES = JULY 5
1. This 2nd PHASE will remain “in flux” as we continue to monitor CDC guidelines.
2. We anticipate being able to resume normal classes and activities on July 5. 3. We will make a decision on the 9:00am service as we determine the level of interest.
CONCLUDING COMMENTS I know many of us are anxious and ready to get back to what life was like before this pandemic. No doubt there will be some long-term effects as well as things that will dissipate over time. Of course we will continue to evaluate and make any necessary changes to our ministries and protocols as necessary to do our best to make sure Faithpoint is a safe place where you and your family can belong, believe and become all that God created you to be. If you have any questions or if there is anything your Faithpoint staff, Leadership Team, or I can do for you, please contact the church office at 812-923-0940. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Pastor George Wasson
MINISTRY UPDATE DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS CDC GUIDELINES…
Join us for ONLINE WORSHIP at https://facebook.com/FaithpointUMC at 10:30 a.m. Sunday mornings (all our videos are archived so you can watch any time during or after the LIVESTREAM).
From here, click over to our “Weekend Messages” tab where you’ll find Message Notes, Important Links, and the Sunday Message on audio. Contact our church office at 812-923-0940 if you have any questions.
Due to the coronavirus and in compliance with the CDC, Federal, State, and Local Authorities, we are NOT meeting physically for worship, KIDZPOINT, or POINT Student Ministries. We invite you to join us Sunday mornings on FACEBOOK LIVE at our usual worship time of 10:30 a.m. for LIVESTREAM WORSHIP.
Our Children’s Ministry (Kidzpoint) happens Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m. Please contact our Kidzpoint Director Wendy Moody for ZOOM login information.at email@example.com.
Our Youth Ministry (The POINT) happens Sunday afternoons via ZOOM.
Middle School POINT @ 4:00 p.m.
High School POINT @ 5:30 p.m.
Please contact our Student Ministries Director David Moore for ZOOM login information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Since we are not gathering physically until given the “all clear,” giving of TITHES and OFFERINGS can be made safely ONLINE by clicking the blue ONLINE GIVING button below. You can make a one-time gift or set up recurrent gifts via credit or debit card or EFT. Contributions can also be mailed directly to Faithpoint Church at 6694 Hwy 150, Floyds Knobs, IN 47119.
You can also make donations through our Level One security provider Vanco Payment Solutions by texting your gift to 833-597-0167. Simply send a text to this number with your dollar gift in the message section. After hitting “send” you will immediately receive a text where you can enter your credit or debit card information and confirm your gift. If you have any questions, please contact our church office at 812-923-0940.
At Faithpoint Church, we believe that God has an amazing plan for you. He wants you to discover His love and His community (the Church). And we believe that you can do all that at Faithpoint Church!
Our church is made up of people just like you, people who are searching for meaning and purpose; people who are looking for answers to the problems that plague our world. Our atmosphere is casual, our people are friendly, our music is contemporary and upbeat, our messages are relevant, and the coffee is rated top-notch! So come and check us out- we’d love to meet our neighbors! We gather for community worship Sunday mornings at 10:30 am.
During our Sunday morning worship we have a great program for children we call “Kidzpoint” (ages newborn through 4th grade). Coinciding with worship, Kidzpoint is a program specifically tailored to helping our children (at each age/grade level) discover the love of God in Jesus Christ in a highly energetic, interactive, creative, and age-appropirarte context. Parents routinely tell us how much their children “love coming to Kidzpoint!”
Our church is committed to making more and stronger disciples of Jesus Christ as we live our faith contagiously and joyfully in our world. We hope you can join us and find that Faithpoint is the kind of church where you and your whole family can belong, believe, and become all that God created you to be!
We’re waiting to meet you!